Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Addition and Friendship

Goodmorning all!

As I sit here in the Tivoli trying to kill time at school, it has come to my attention that I missed something in my first blog! Loneliness doesn't come only from the lack of interaction with others and excessive use of technology, but not walking with Christ creates loneliness. I've been in some of the most crowded places and felt lonely when I am not talking with God. He put us on this earth and wants a relationship with us and He loves us... Just thought I would throw in that little side note at the beginning of this entry(:

Today I went to my first meeting of our church's Brewble Study (brewing beer+ Bible study). Wow have I been missing out! While I am not allowed to try the beers ):, I hear these guys are pretty good. Tonight we didn't get to brew anything new, so we just sat around and talked. While talking with some of the guys and observing others, I realized how this group, that is doing something that seems so off base for a church, still brings people together. That is how we start reaching out to others with Christ. Developing strong relationships with others is such a big part of this life because we can band together to act as the Body of Christ. While things of direct Bible knowledge may not have come up, it still applied! As Proverbs 27:17 says, As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. That's what they were doing tonight while just enjoying good time together. We talked about life in general and this allows for fun stories but also for advice giving. It is made clear throughout the Bible that we need to maintain relationships with our brothers so that we can spread the gospel to everyone.

I saw this as a great opportunity for the members of this group to start to reach out into the community. Brewing homemade beer is a fun, casual thing to do with friends, and it doesn't have to be in a church setting. This allows them to build relationships with non-Christians and bring them to God through their actions.

By watching this tonight, it inspired me to be more pursuant with acting as a Christ follower, but showing it in non-church settings. I want to bring as many people to the Lord as I can, so I can say that my time spent on the earth was worthwhile.  I want to say that I conquered part of the world for Christ, and for Christ alone.

Who knew that I could get such a great lesson from such a casual setting of sitting around talking to good friends all night?  Just thought I would share my two cents on the topic of outreach and friendship(:

Have a good week!
Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment